Invite your Parents to Canada on a SuperVisa

February 9, 2021


  • Robynn Farrell

You’re getting ready to immigrate to Canada, maybe you’re already here. You want your parents to join you, but the wait for the Parent or Grandparent Program can be long and success is by no means guaranteed. The program gets over 100,000 applications every year, and they can only grant around 20,000 applicants the opportunity to apply for permanent residency. So, while you apply and hold thumbs that your parents applications will be selected, why not have them join you on a Canadian SuperVisa? The first thing to be aware of is that for both visa programs, you must become a permanent resident of Canada yourself before you can sponsor your parents to join you in Canada. Start the process below.

The Canadian SuperVisa

Mother-and-Daughter-Canadian-SuperVisa The Canadian SuperVisa was created specially for parents and grandparents to be able to live with or visit their children in Canada for extended periods of time. With a SuperVisa, your parents can stay in Canada for up to two years at a time, and the visa is typically valid for a period of ten years. So they can just pop across the border to the United States (which they will need a US visitors visa to do) or take a short trip back home and then they can stay in Canada for a further two years, hassle-free.

The Requirements for a Canadian SuperVisa

To be eligible for a SuperVisa as opposed to the regular 6 month visa, the applicant/s must:
  • be the parent or grandparent of a permanent resident or Canadian citizen;
  • have a signed letter from their child/grandchild guaranteeing:
    • full financial support for the entire duration of their time in Canada under the SuperVisa;
    • a complete list of people already residing in the household you will be living in; and
    • a copy of their Canadian permanent residency or citizenship document.
  • take out medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that must be:
    • valid for at least one year from the date of entry;
    • able to cover at least $100,00 CAD in medical expenses; and
    • have the physical policy (been paid), quotations are no acceptable.
The applicant must apply for the SuperVisa from outside of Canada. You may have to take a medical examination before applying and you must also be admissible to Canada. In other words, you cannot have been convicted of a crime. Unfortunately, you cannot include any other dependents on your application. If you want your parents to be able to stay in Canada indefinitely, it is important that you apply for permanent residency for your parents through the Parent or Grandparent Program at the same time as you apply for their supervisa. The processing time is estimated between 20 and 24 months. There are numerous benefits to becoming a permanent resident of Canada, not least of which is the free access to public healthcare, which people tend to need more as they enter their later years.

How MDC Can Help You

Fishing with father - Canadian SuperVisa We understand that making sure the people most important to you remain a part of your life is just as important as choosing to start anew. Immigration to Canada can be both complex and confusing and there is no good reason to jeopardize the opportunity to keep your parents close at hand. By using our accredited Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) you will not only optimize your chances of success when you apply for your Canada visa, but you will receive expert advice on which program is best for your personal needs. Our RCICs are registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) and are legally permitted to assist you by evaluating your eligibility, reviewing all documentation and submitting it to the Canadian government on your behalf. Don't risk your chances of having your parents by your side in Canada. Let us make sure that all forms are completed correctly and sent in on time. Simply fill out our application form to receive your assessment today and take one step closer to a happy life in Canada.