How to Apply for TEER 2 and 3 (NOC B) Jobs in Canada

May 23, 2023


  • Wesley Allan

When it comes to jobs for foreigners, Canada is brimming with possibilities. The country's immigration laws allow Canadian employers to recruit from other parts of the world to fill the significant labor shortfall from an aging population. In 2022, reports showed more than 1 million vacancies across sectors. This means you are bound to find those greener pastures in this land of maple leaves.

If you are searching for new opportunities, this article closely examines how to apply for TEER 2 and 3 (NOC B) Jobs in Canada.

The following sections will examine TEER 2 and 3 jobs in Canada and how to apply.

What Are TEER 2 and 3 Jobs?

What Are TEER 2 and 3 Jobs?

The National Occupational Classification (NOC) describes different occupations in Canada. Each profession lists the primary duties, educational requirements, and other related information. You will find a more in-depth look at NOC codes here.

The 2021 NOC system is a standardized framework the Canadian government uses to classify and categorize job titles and descriptions. The NOC system helps job seekers, employers, and government agencies better understand the nature and requirements of different occupations. The NOC system is organized into various categories, known as TEER, which stands for Training, Education, Experience, and Responsibilities.


Your occupation may have a different name in Canada, so double-check the Canadian term for it and the associated duties, as these need to align. Getting the right NOC is vital. Your application could be rejected if the code is incorrect and doesn't match your skill set and experience.

What is TEER 2?

TEER 2 refers to occupations that usually require a college diploma, apprenticeship, or other vocational training. These were previously classified as NOC B jobs and included positions in various industries such as healthcare, construction, and manufacturing. Some examples of TEER 2 jobs are registered nurses, electricians, and construction supervisors.

What is TEER 3?

TEER 3 includes jobs typically requiring a high school diploma or a combination of on-the-job training and experience. These were also classified as NOC B jobs, encompassing sales, administration, and transportation. Examples of TEER 3 jobs are administrative assistants, heavy equipment operators, and retail sales supervisors.

How To Apply for NOC Jobs in TEER 2 and 3

How To Apply for NOC Jobs in TEER 2 and 3

Step 1: Identify Your NOC

Your first step should be finding the NOC code that matches your occupation. This will determine your eligibility to be employed or apply for Canadian immigration. Jobs have a specific code. You will find the code for the job on the Canadian government website. You can do this by searching the Canada NOC list or using the NOC Canada search tool on the Government of Canada website. By entering your job title or description, you will find the corresponding NOC code and learn more about the skills and qualifications required for that occupation.

Step 2: Find Out Where Your Job is Most in Demand

Once you have identified your NOC code, research which provinces or territories have the highest demand for your occupation. Some regions in Canada may have abundant job opportunities in particular industries or skilled trades. Focusing on these areas will increase your chances of finding a suitable job. Learn more about Canada's in-demand occupations here.

Step 3: Apply for a Job

This is perhaps one of, if not the most, critical step to landing your dream job in Canada. Checking where your skills are in demand most will help make finding a job easier and help improve your chances of getting a work visa or permanent residency.

After identifying the NOC code and determining where your job is most in demand, search for job openings through various channels such as job search websites, company career pages, and networking events. You can search for your occupation and province on the government job listing website, JobBank Canada, or various recruitment websites like, Workopolis,, or LinkedIn. Another option is to take a look at our in-demand jobs page. 

Once you have researched the best provinces for your particular occupation, head back to those job sites, set up your profile, and register a comprehensive to secure a job in Canada. Also, consider registering with a recruitment agency to increase your possibilities. Remember, you must have a job waiting if you want to apply for a work permit in Canada.

To maximize your chances of success, you should tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job requirements and highlight your relevant skills and experiences. 

Step 4: Apply for a Work Permit Canada

Once you have secured a job offer, the next step is to apply for a Work Permit Canada. This document allows you to work for a specific employer and occupation in Canada legally. There are two types of Canadian work permits: Open Work Permits and Employer-specific Work Permits.

An Open Work Permit will allow you to work anywhere in the country and for any employer (unless regulations state otherwise).

An Employer-specific Work Permit is a bit more restrictive. It will only allow you to work in a particular job for a specific employer in a set area. 

Depending on your country of citizenship, you may be eligible to apply for a work permit through various programs such as the Temporary Foreign Worker Program or the International Experience Canada program. Here's a handy breakdown of how to apply for a Canadian work permit in 2023:

If you want to ensure you have the best chance of working your TEER 2 or 3 job in Canada, your best option is to have a certified immigration professional like a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC).

Work Permit and Immigration Process for NOC B Jobs in Canada

Working a TEER 2 or 3 job in Canada is not only a passport to a good salary and great worker's benefits. Still, it can also be your pathway to permanent residency in Canada. As a TEER 2 or 3 worker, you can become a permanent resident of Canada through the following programs: 

Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP)

The AIP is a PNP that targets skilled workers and international graduates who want to live and work in one of Canada's four Atlantic provinces: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and Labrador, and Prince Edward Island. The AIP has three categories: 

  • Atlantic High-Skilled Program
  • Atlantic Intermediate-Skilled Program, and 
  • Atlantic International Graduate Program. 

You may be eligible for the Atlantic Intermediate-Skilled Program if you have a TEER 2 or 3 job. You can learn more about the Atlantic Immigration Program and what it takes to apply here.

Federal Skilled Trade Program (FSTP) 

The FSTP is an economic immigration program that targets skilled tradespeople who want to become permanent residents of Canada. To be eligible for the FSTP, you must have at least two years of work experience in an eligible skilled trade occupation, including TEER 2 occupations. Learn more about the FSTP here.

Canadian Experience Class (CEC) 

The CEC is an economic immigration program that targets foreign workers with at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada. To be eligible for the CEC, you must have gained work experience in an eligible occupation, including TEER 2 and 3. Find out if you qualify for the CEC here.

Agri-Food Immigration Pilot

The Agri-Food Immigration Pilot is a PNP that targets workers in the agri-food sector who want to become permanent residents of Canada. You may be eligible for this program if you have a TEER 2 or 3 jobs in the meat processing, mushroom, or greenhouse production industries. You can learn more about what it takes to be part of the Agri-food pilot here.

Quebec Immigration Program 

Quebec has its immigration program, which includes a range of economic and family sponsorship categories. If you have a TEER 2 or 3 job and are interested in living and working in Quebec, you may be eligible for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program or the Quebec Experience Program.

Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot 

The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot program targets skilled workers who want to live and work in one of Canada's smaller communities. The program will help these communities fill labor market gaps and attract new residents. You may be eligible for this program if you have a NOC B job and are interested in living and working in a rural or northern community. You can learn more about the RNIP here.

Why Work in Canada’s TEER 2 and 3 (NOC B) Jobs

Why Work in Canada’s TEER 2 and 3 (NOC B) Jobs

Working in TEER 2 and 3 (NOC B) jobs in Canada offers numerous benefits, including opportunities for Canadian permanent residency. Outside of this, there are many reasons why Canada is a perfect place to work in a TEER 2 or 3 occupation, such as:

High Demand for Skilled Workers 

Many TEER 2 and 3 jobs are in high demand in Canada due to a shortage of skilled workers in certain industries. This means that immigrants with the required skills and experience are highly sought after by Canadian employers, increasing their chances of finding employment and securing a good salary.

Opportunities for Career Advancement

Many TEER 2 and 3 jobs offer opportunities for career advancement, such as becoming a supervisor or manager. This can lead to higher pay, job security, and better benefits.

Quality of Life

Canada is known for its high quality of life, with excellent healthcare, education, and social services. By working in a TEER 2 or 3 (NOC B) job in Canada, immigrants can enjoy these benefits and provide a better life for themselves and their families. Additionally, Canada is a safe and welcoming country with a diverse population, making it a great place to live and work.

High Earning Potential

Many TEER 2 and 3 jobs in Canada offer a high earning potential, especially for those with specialized skills and experience. For example, electricians, plumbers, and chefs can earn a good salary in Canada, which can help immigrants support themselves and their families.

Opportunities for Skill Development

Many NOC B jobs in Canada require specialized training or apprenticeships, which can provide immigrants with valuable skills and knowledge. This can help them advance in their careers and increase their earning potential. Additionally, many TEER 2 and 3 jobs offer on-the-job training and development opportunities, which can help immigrants improve their skills and gain new experiences.


What is the Difference Between TEER 2 and TEER 3 Jobs?

TEER 2 jobs typically require a college diploma, apprenticeship, or other vocational training. In contrast, TEER 3 jobs usually require a high school diploma or a combination of on-the-job training and experience.

How do I Find my NOC Code?

If you're having trouble locating your NOC, head to the NOC site and:

  • Search for your job title or NOC code
  • Look for the closest match
  • Ensure the main list of duties is the same as your job profile. If they don't match up, look for a different job title where the tasks match yours.
  • Take down the numeric code and job title for your occupation

Step Your Career Up in Canada

The future outlook for NOC B jobs in Canada is promising, with continued demand for skilled workers in various industries. As the Canadian economy grows and diversifies, the need for TEER 2 and 3 workers is expected to increase, providing excellent job opportunities for local and international job seekers.

By understanding the TEER system and the 2021 National Occupational Classification (NOC), you can better navigate the Canadian job market and find the best TEER 2 and 3 jobs for your skills and experience. With the right qualifications and determination, you can secure a rewarding career in Canada's diverse and thriving economy. Now that you do, it's time to get the ball rolling. Get onto those job sites and see which areas in Canada have the best opportunities. Once you find something that aligns with your skill set and needs, secure that job and get ready to live and work in the Great White North!