Improve Your Chances of Immigrating to Canada

February 9, 2021


  • Robynn Farrell

In order to submit a competitive Express Entry profile, you need to have a high Comprehensive Ranking System score. Even if you don’t have many years of work experience; are above thirty years of age or don’t have any family living in Canada, there are still ways to improve your chances of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA). There are two very important documents that can make a significant difference to your Canadian Immigration Application and increase your chances of successfully immigrating to Canada. Find out more below.

What is the Comprehensive Ranking System? 

The Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is criteria used by the Express Entry system to score candidates who apply through the federal government’s skilled worker programs. These programs include the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class. They are designed to meet in-demand occupations across Canada’s provinces, apart from Quebec, which has its own skilled worker program. 
The criteria used to award points to applicants are:
  • Age
  • Language proficiency (English and French)
  • Level of Education (In and outside Canada)
  • Work Experience (In and outside Canada)
  • Arranged Employment (Not compulsory)
  • Provincial Nomination achieved
  • Sibling in Canada
  • Your spouse’s profile (If married)

1. Improve Your English Skills (Max Points = 136)

Girl studying for a test Candidates applying without a spouse can receive a maximum of 136 CRS points, and those applying with a spouse can receive a maximum of 128 CRS points for exceptional written, verbal, reading, listening and writing skills in English. This amount of points is enough to substantially boost your chances of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA)!  It is very important that you prove your language ability on your application with results from an approved language test such as the International English Language Training System (IELTS) or the Test d’Evaluation de Français (TEF) if your French abilities are stronger. If this is not included, you will not get an ITA to immigrate to Canada or be eligible for a work visa. 

IELTS Preparation Course 

The IELTS is globally known and used English assessment by official institutions. Once you have an IELTS document with your results, applying for anything abroad will be much easier and effective. For those Candidates who are not proficient in English, we highly recommend an IELTS Preparation Course before taking the official IELTS assessment. Being well prepared for the test will help improve your score and the higher your score, the higher your CRS points.  The IELTS Preparation Course is based on content developed over ten years of delivering IELTS preparation to students. The courses offer content describing the examination, strategies for success, video lectures and practice exercises that provide instant feedback in all sections of the exam.

2. Verify Your Education Qualification (Max Points = 150) 

Man signing a document Many applicants are surprised when they don’t receive any points for their education qualification. A common reason for this is that they did not include an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) document with their application that verifies whether their degree or diploma meets the Canadian standard. The highest amount of points applicants can receive for their education is 150 points (without a spouse) for a Ph.D. and the least amount are 30 points (without a spouse) for a secondary school diploma. These points can play a significant role in determining if an applicant receives an ITA or not. 

Educational Credential Assessment  (ECA)      

To assure you receive CRS points for your hard-earned education qualification, you can get your credentials verified by the World Education Services (WES) that is designated by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to provide Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) for degrees and diplomas earned outside of Canada.  WES will deliver your report to the IRCC and you will receive a reference number to include on all your documents. Your ECA will be valid for five years and you can continue using your report for other official agencies and institutes like academic institutions, and employers.  

What We Do

Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) are immigration and visa specialists who can help you with the process to improve your chances of immigrating to Canada.  RCICs find the perfect immigration program for you to move to Canada; take care of the mountain of paperwork required to apply and ensure all is correct and submitted on time. Canadian immigration is a lot easier, faster and successful with an RCIC on your side.