How to Get a Canadian Work Visa from Qatar
JUL 8, 2021
There are many reasons people want to work in Canada. There are plenty of job opportunities for both skilled and unskilled workers, Canada is in the top 10 for the highest minimum wage in the world and working in Canada can be a means of immigrating to Canada.
However, the Canadian work permits can be challenging to understand and with the many options available there are also many requirements that go along with them. In this article, our aim is to simplify the process on how to get a Canadian work visa from Qatar.
Continue reading to find out more about different types of Canadian work visas.
How to Get a Canadian Work Visa
Step 1: Choose a permit that is right for you
A Canadian work permit allows foreigners to live and work in Canada, this includes business people, temporary workers, permanent workers and students. There are two main types of work visas in Canada, they are:
- Employer-specific work permit - this permit allows foreigners to work in Canada under specific conditions usually limiting the worker to one employer and position.
- Open work permit - this permit will allow foreigners to have any job in Canada, in any province or territory. It also means they are exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
Programs for obtaining an employer-specific work visa
The employer-specific work permit is also known as a closed permit. A great way to secure this visa is through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). The TFWP allows Canadian employers to temporarily hire foreign nationals to fill Canada’s labour shortages. The aim is to bring new skills and knowledge to help the economy grow. Streams that fall under the TFWP are the Global Talent Stream and the Agricultural Stream.
Global Talent Stream
The Global Talent Stream (GTS), provided by the government, helps Canadian employers by providing a faster way to hire highly skilled foreign experts. A major benefit of going through the GTS is that processing times can be as little as two weeks. The GTS is divided into two categories:
- Category A - this category is for employers who have been referred to the Global Talent Stream by one of the stream’s designated partners. This will only happen if the employer proves the need for unique and specialized temporary foreign workers in order to grow.
- Category B - this category is for employers looking to hire highly-skilled foreign workers to fill positions for in-demand jobs in Canada found on the Global Talent Occupations List.
The Agricultural Stream allows foreigners to work as foreign temporary workers for a period of 24 months. A benefit that works highly in the foreign worker’s favour is that the employer is required to pay for the round trip transportation costs, provide affordable housing and pay the worker’s health insurance.
Employers are also required to provide foreign temporary workers with the same wages and benefits as those provided to Canadian and permanent resident employees working in the same positions.
Programs for obtaining an open work visa
Obtaining an open work permit can be done through the International Mobility Program (IMP). This allows Canadian employees to hire temporary foreign workers without the need for an LMIA. Employers typically favour this program because of how quick and simple it is. The goal of the IMP is to serve Canada’s broader economic and cultural interests, of which the Post-Graduation Work Permit is one of those programs.
Post-Graduation Work Permit
The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allows international students, who have graduated from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), to obtain an open work visa. This means graduates who have the PGWP are free to work for any employer in Canada within any province or territory. The PGWP can be valid for up to three years, all depending on the length of the graduate’s program.
For those wanting to study in Canada, there are many affordable tertiary institutions to choose from. A spouse or common-law partner of an international student may also apply for an open work permit.
Step 2: Check your eligibility to move to Canada
There are specific requirements a foreign worker needs to meet depending on where they are when applying for the work permit. Regardless of where they apply or which type of work permit they apply for, they need to meet the below requirements:
- Prove to an officer that they will leave Canada when their work permit expires;
- Show that they have enough money to take care of themselves and their family members during their stay in Canada and to return home;
- Obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (IRCC may ask applicants to give a police clearance certificate);
- Not be a danger to Canada’s security;
- Be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed;
- Not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions;
- Not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages; and
- Give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove the applicant can enter the country.
Step 3: Submit the application
Apply for a work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This can be done online, each country of origin will have different forms that need to be completed. This process can be much simpler and easier when using our services, as the Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) we work with inform clients of exactly which work permits they are eligible for and what documents they may need.
By using an RCIC the chance to successfully get a Canadian work visa from Qatar can be significantly increased.
FAQ 1:What Is the Cost of a Canadian Work Permit?
|Canadian Work Visa Fees|
|Work permit (including extensions) – per person||$515|
|Work permit (including extensions) – per group (3 or more performing artists)||$465|
|Open work permit holder||$100|
|Restore your status as a worker - Restore your status ($200) and get a new work permit ($155)||$355|
FAQ 2: How Long Does it Take to Get a Canadian Work Visa?
The Canadian work visa has a large range and the application processing time will depend on the completion of the application and the office the applicant applied from. However, it generally takes around 1 to 27 weeks to process the permit.
Working in Canada
Working in Canada as a foreign worker comes with many benefits such as being treated equally with the same worker’s rights as Canadians and permanent residents. Canada is known to adhere to a healthy work-life balance which leaves more time to spend with family and friends.
With the knowledge of how to get a Canadian work visa from Qatar, all that needs to be done is simply click on the link below and fill out the eligibility form.