FAQs: What You Need to Know About Canada's Express Entry System

February 15, 2022


  • Kelia Losa Reinoso

FAQ 1: What’s a good CRS score?

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) scores are like money, the more you have, the better. The higher your CRS Canada score the better your chances are of being selected from the pool. As a general rule, scores above 450 are considered to be in the safe zone, but if you do happen to score below that, you can apply for a Provincial Nomination Program (PNP) which automatically gives you 600 points if your PNP application is successful. This process is highly dependent on other candidates in the same pool. You can look up the highest and lowest scores of previous pools on the government website.

FAQ 2: Is Express Entry Canada closed?

While Express Entry draws have been halted for the moment due to the backlog caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, there are active efforts made by the Canadian government to catch up with the growing demand. Canada has invested $80 Million to assist in streamlining Express Entry visa processes. It is a priority for the Canadian government to get back on track in no more than six to twelve months.

FAQ 3: How do I improve my CRS score?

Because the higher your scores are, the better your chances, you want to take advantage of the highest scores possible. You can increase your scores by applying for a PNP as we said above, or there are other ways you can boost your score.

  • Re-take your IELTS. Maybe you didn't prepare as well as you would have liked to and would like a higher score
  • If you speak French, as well as English, Canada’s other official language, make sure you’ve taken both language tests and submit both scores to increase your CRS.
  • Apply for a job in Canada. Having a valid work offer from a Canadian employer will boat your chances of immigrating to Canada
  • Get more work experience in your field. Consider spending an extra six months to a year working on gaining experience, if you have Canadian work experience, even better.
  • Get your spouse to contribute to your score. Include information about your spouse’s education, qualification and language tests to increase your chances

FAQ 4: Can I apply with my spouse or partner?

If you want to apply for an Express Entry visa with your spouse or common-law partner, you can either list them as an accompanying partner in your application if you are the main applicant or have them list you as an accompanying spouse if they’re the main applicant. Decide who has the better chance of getting a successful PR permit and list them as the main applicant. Or, if you both have strong chances, you can both open an online profile and list each other as accompanying partners. If you haven’t listed a spouse, remember that once you get permanent residency, you can apply for your spouse to join you in Canada as a permanent resident as well through the spousal visa program.

FAQ 5: What are the estimated costs for the Express Entry System?

Moving to another country will come with its economic setbacks, but you’ll make it up when you get Canadian permanent residency. From the start, you’ll need to consider the following costs:

In Canadian Dollars Services
$1,325 Express Entry Application fee (per person)
$225 Express Entry Application per dependant child
$85 Biometrics
$300 Language Exam
$200 Educational Credential Assessment
$450 Medical Exam
$100 Police Certficate
$2000-$5000 Immigration services

These are estimated amounts and the prices may vary depending on what country you’re applying from.

FAQ 6: How often do draws happen?

Expect draws to occur every 2 weeks, but remember that under normal circumstances, you’ll still have to wait six to eight months to receive a response.

FAQ 7: How do I provide proof of funds for Express Entry?

When you apply through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP ) or Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) you’ll have you provide proof of funds, to show that you are able o take care of yourself financially, and of any of your dependants when you arrive in Canada. You’ll be exempt from providing proof of funds if you're applying under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) or you are in possession of a valid job offer and are authorized to work in Canada.

How much money you’ll need to provide proof of depends on the size of your family. You have to take into consideration yourself, your spouse and any dependant children you may have. The following table shows you exactly how much you’ll need to provide proof of.

Proof of Funds
INumber of family members Funds required in Canadian dollars
1 $13,213
2 $16,449
3 $24,553
4 $24,553
5 $27,847
6 $31,407
7 $34,967
every additional member $3,560

Not only must you be able to access the money when you apply, but this must remain the case if a permanent residency permit is issued to you. What is accepted as Proof of Funds is also very specific. They must be official letters from banks and institutions where your money is kept. These documents must have an institutional stamp, have contact information about you, as well as a showing off your loans, crest card and loans.

We hope that we’ve answered all your burning questions. To get started on your Express Visa application click the link below. You can check your eligibility and consult with a member of the Regulated Council of Immigration Consultants (RCIC) who are trained to assist you with your visa application.